When contractors select materials for metal pipework, stainless steel is often overlooked due to its price compared to other options such as PVC for applications such as wastewater and chemical transport. But the many advantages of stainless steel pipe for industrial and commercial application make this a material that provides value and return on investment.
1. Stain and corrosion resistant – Corrosion is the main enemy of metal piping. The outer surface of steel, iron and concrete piping can degrade from soil and UV light. Interior walls of piping made from other materials will tend to rust, are damaged through abrasion, or accumulate debris. But thanks to the corrosion resistance properties of stainless steel, this is far less common. This gives stainless steel the edge when it comes to applications like sanitary water delivery or hospital applications.
2. Value – When you use stainless steel pipes, you are buying a durable product that will last your business for decades. It is a reliable material that is easy to maintain and install. Stainless steel is low-maintenance, and due to its corrosion-resistant properties, it is unlikely they will need to be replaced for decades.
3. Strength and versatility – Different materials such as nickel, molybdenum, or nitrogen can be added to stainless steel to enhance its corrosion-resistant properties. Stainless steel can handle extreme temperatures. By adding different materials to stainless steel allows for thinner pipe walls and less material which means less added weight to the finished product making it ideal for many commercial and industrial uses.
4. Appearance – Exposed stainless steel pipe and fittings are an excellent choice for commercial establishments as the material has a naturally shiny and elegant look.
5. Environment-friendly – Stainless steel is not a petroleum product. In fact, it doesn’t need to be coated or lined with any materials at all, unlike other piping materials. When you need to replace or dispose of stainless steel piping, it is 100% recyclable, reducing the environmental impact. As much as 50% of all new stainless steel that is produced in the United States is made from recycled scrap metal.
Thanks to its versatility and durability, stainless steel is known for being a “miracle metal” that is used for countless commercial and industrial applications. If you have a need for piping material for your next project, call Pittsburgh Pipe. We can customize your stainless steel pipework to fit your budget and your needs. We supply stainless steel pipe and stainless steel fittings in all grades including types 304, 304L, 316, 316L, 310, 321, 410 and 2205, as well as many others. Our network of manufacturers allows us to supply pipe for various low and high-pressure applications.
We offer seamless as well as welded stainless steel, allowing us to provide the most cost-effective solution for your application.